Thursday, December 24, 2015

Guest Post- Karoline Barrett

I am so thrilled to have with us today Karoline Barrett. Her debut cozy mystery Bun for Your Life( A Bread and Batter Mystery series) was released on November 17th.








Welcome Karoline, so happy you can be here today.


Shelley, thank you so much for having me on Shelley’s Book Case! Like other authors, I get asked quite a bit where I get the ideas for my writing. The answer is, sometimes from a conversation I overhear, sometimes from a newspaper article, sometimes from people-watching, and sometimes they just pop into my imagination. But honestly, ideas can come from anywhere. Speaking of ideas, I’ve been waiting a long time to talk about the Destiny Divas, and with Raisin the Dead coming in April 2016, this seems like the perfect time!

In the first book of my Bread and Batter series, Bun for Your Life, I mention that my main character, Molly Tyler, belongs to a book club called the Destiny Women’s Book Club. In the second book of the series, Raisin the Dead, the book club plays a larger role in the story. Their name also changes to the Destiny Divas. Why the Divas? As Molly explains, “Our former name was Destiny Women’s Book Club, but we decided that Destiny Divas was a more exciting name, and fit our personalities better.” However, there’s more to it than that.

I was invited to a book club almost two years ago to talk about my first book, which is women’s fiction. The name of the book club? The Divas. I loved that name and I loved how the women interacted with each other. They were so lively, smart, and funny. I knew right then that I had to change the name of my fictitious book club to the Destiny Divas. Then I thought, What if Molly engaged them to help solve a murder? So she did!

Here you’ll see a picture of the “original” divas. The beautiful bride is Jennifer! I’ll leave you with a small sample from Raisin the Dead featuring a couple of the Destiny Divas (any resemblance to, or characteristics of, the original Divas is purely coincidental, and total luck on the authors part!)






Once I got everyone settled at the dining room table with food, margaritas, and glasses for water in front of them, it wasn’t long until we’d caught up on each other’s lives during the last month; who was in love, who was out of love, who wanted to be in love, and so forth. Then, the buzz started about Serafina coming to town, followed by Philip’s death.

Usually, the hostess is responsible for leading the discussion on the book we’ve read and keeping the Divas on track discussing said book, but tonight was an exception. I really did feel badly that I hadn’t read the book. I vowed to read the next book we chose.

“Detective Corsino questioned my mother about Philip’s death,” I volunteered as I speared a slice of meatloaf. “Why on earth did he do that?” Laura, the above-mentioned attorney, looked stunned.
“My mom and Philip had dinner at Mia’s and according to her; afterwards, while they were in the parking lot, she told him if he stopped backing the library expansion, she’d kill him. A waiter heard her, and since Philip was dead soon after, the waiter called the police.”
“That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard!” exclaimed Mary Sue, owner of Mary Sue’s House of Beauty. She’s been cutting hair in Destiny for ages and I’m convinced she’s the main reason no psychiatrist puts down roots in our town. No one fixes problems and dishes advice like Mary Sue. She has a doctorate in life, love, and heartbreak.







BIO: Karoline Barrett lives in a small Connecticut town with her husband. She is the author of the Bread and Batter mystery series. When she isn't writing she loves the beach, reading, visiting museums, spending time with family, and doing anything that has nothing to do with math.







3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me, Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read Bun For Your Life--it's great! I love culinary mysteries. Molly and Olivia are fun characters, and I can't wait to see what happens with Detective Corsino. Looking forward to Raisin the Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Shelley and Karoline!

    ReplyDelete

First in Series- Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross

Happy Monday! This week's First in Series is Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross Released on August 22, 2000. Seri...