Monday, October 22, 2012

Candace C. Bowen visiting today


   Tell us about yourself.

I was born in a suburb just outside of Chicago. I moved with my family to South Florida at an early age, but still consider myself a Chicagoan. I am the proud mother of an eight year-old son who I absolutely adore. Although I am a dog person, our cat, “Spuds,” found me two years ago as a kitten and has been trying to convert me ever since.   
Since I can remember, I have always toyed with the idea of writing a novel. It took deaf actress Marlee Matlin’s amazing performance on Dancing With the Stars in 2008 to finally kick start my writing career. My first attempt at writing became a full-length historical romance featuring a deaf heroine in, A KNIGHT OF SILENCE. More fortunate than most, I quickly landed a contract for my novel and followed it with contracts for, SPUR OF THE MOMENT, WICKED EMBERS, A KNIGHT OF BATTLE Vol. II (Nov. 2013), JACK OF HEARTS (Feb.2013), and coming late 2013, A KNIGHT OF VALOUR Vol. III. I am also currently working on my first horror tale entitled, VOODOO FIRE.
Something I am very proud of is the fact that in 2010, A Knight of Silence was awarded best Romance eBook of the year by The Gatekeepers Post. 
 How did you come up with the Hero/Heroine for this book/series?

With my first heroine being deaf, I wanted to keep my future characters real. My heroines are not the swooning, helpless women found in some romance novels. I strive to make them relatable to the 21st century reader. They are strong, independent and willing to fight for what they believe in.   

When it comes to heroes…well, that’s an entirely different story. My muse for Fulke in A Knight of Silence just happens to be Alexander Skarsgard from True Blood. I am very visually inspired and when I happened across an old modeling picture of Alexander, I knew I had found my hero. The rest of my heroes are found the same way. Only one of my heroes was inspired by a person I know.  

What is next in this series?

The next novel in the Knight Series is, A Knight of Battle. It is scheduled to be released in November through Seven Realms Publishing. That will be followed up by, A Knight of Valour Vol. III, in late 2013.


 If you could be a character in any book you have read who would it be and why?

Easy. I would be Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice by the incomparable, Jane Austen. Elizabeth was a heroine way ahead of her time and I greatly admire the strength and conviction Jane Austen put into her character.  



 What are you reading now?

I just laughed out loud. I am currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith. It’s the perfect book for someone who grew up on romance and horror novels. With a past like that, it is also why I am trying my hand at writing a horror novel.


Leave a comment if you like for Candace!



Author of:

A Knight of Silence
Seven Realms Publishing

Spur of the Moment
Rhemalda Publishing

Wicked Embers
(Sequel to Spur of the Moment)
Rhemalda Publishing

A Knight of Battle
Knight Series~Volume II
Seven Realms Publishing
(Available November 2012)

Jack of Hearts
Seven Realms Publishing
(Available 2013)

Website: WWW.KNIGHTSERIES.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment

First in Series- Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross

Happy Monday! This week's First in Series is Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross Released on August 22, 2000. Seri...