Saturday, May 11, 2013

Liz Mugavero Stops By

Today we have the Lovely Liz Mugavero joining us. Talking about her New book Kneading To Die just released on May 7th.

Good Morning Liz, Thank you for hanging out with us.


Tell us about yourself.

I’ve always been a storyteller - I think it started with all the books my mother used to read to me as a kid. If I could have had my way, we would’ve sat and read all day. By the time I could talk, I was making up brand new worlds with the kids in my neighborhood and casting us all in roles. As I got older, I created my own soap opera, wrote bad poetry incessantly and dreamed of writing books. English was my favorite class throughout high school, and when I got to college and could spend even more time in literature and writing classes, I was in heaven. 
I went to graduate school at Emerson College to study writing and publishing, and my thesis became my first novel (which will never see the light of day). 
Then I became a journalist, and dabbled in PR and marketing. Today, I work in strategic communications in the corporate world - not too far off from Stan’s former profession - and spend my nights and weekends working on my fiction.
Animals are my passion, and I’ve been working in rescue for more than 10 years. So it was perfect when this opportunity came along to write about gourmet pet food. I’d often wondered what I would do in my writing life that could also help animals, so it must be fate.

How did you come up with this book?

I’m indebted to Sisters in Crime New England and Sheila Connolly. She received a request from an agent (John Talbot) looking for writers to discuss proposals with. I was one of a few who answered the email, which led to a conversation with John. During that conversation, we talked about my interests and how we could develop them into cozy opportunities, and we came up with gourmet pet food. I had a few ideas off the top of my head, so I jumped into writing the proposal and three chapters. Within two months, I had a contract. It was an amazing experience, and I’m so blessed. And John is a wonderful agent. I’m very lucky.

What are you working on next?

I’m finishing up book 2 in the Pawsitively Organic Mysteries, called “A Biscuit, A Casket.” This one involves a corn maze, a dead dairy farmer and of course, a lot of cats, dogs and yummy treats!
Next I’ll be starting work on book 3, and hopefully talking with my agent about the next books in this series! I’m having a lot of fun writing it, so I hope it continues.  

What do you do when writing to keep yourself focused on your work?

The deadline is a great motivator! Kidding...well, sort of. Deadlines are important, but when I write every day, I stay immersed in the story and it’s easy to stay focused. I try to leave for the day in the middle of a scene, just so I have a good place to start the next day, when I might be crunched for time. It’s when I skip days because of a crazy schedule that it’s harder to get back into it. 
Of course, the Freedom internet-blocker program works well to get me focused too. I spend way too much time on social media!

What are the first 5 books in your to be read pile?

 I have so many books in my pile….I would have to say the top five are A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die, Clammed Up and Drizzled with Death, by my fellow Wicked Cozy authors Edith Maxwell, Barb Ross and Jessie Crockett, respectively; then Live By Night by Dennis Lehane and Broken Harbor by Tana French.


If you could have a dinner date with any character from any book who would it be and why?

I’m a huge fan of Jack Reacher. He’s such a cool guy and he drinks a lot of coffee, so he’s right up my alley! Plus, I’d love a front row seat to see him give somebody a good butt-kicking. 


Leave a message for Liz, I am sure she would love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

First in Series- Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross

Happy Monday! This week's First in Series is Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross Released on August 22, 2000. Seri...