Friday, September 6, 2013

Cate Price is here today-- Going Through the Notions



Happy Friday Everyone! Cate Price is here today and she brought Daisy Buchanan with her.  Going Through the Notions is Cate's New Book just released on Tuesday Sept 3rd! The book is a Fantastic read!

So Cate,

Tell us about yourself.
I’ve had a variety of careers, from real estate agent to voice over artist to bartender to casting director. Now I’m safely ensconced in the corporate world as an executive assistant to a CEO. Sometimes I wish that I didn’t have to work full-time so that I could stay home and write, but I relish the raw material that crops up from being around other people all day. Especially the quirky, outspoken ones! In my free time, I love to go on long hikes with my two dogs, garden, and of course, read a good book.
 
How did Going through the Notions come about? Is sewing a passion of yours?
An editor at Berkley Prime Crime came up with the idea for a series based on a sewing notions store and my agent recommended me for the job. I have to admit, I’m not a very good seamstress, but antiquing is a true passion of mine. My main character finds merchandise for her store by going to flea markets, yard sales and auctions, so I felt right at home with that aspect. And I’ve developed a thing for old buttons while writing this series. Some of them are so beautiful and unusual. My editor collects vintage books and hand-sewn tea towels, so I’m always on the lookout for little treasures for her.
 
What can you tell us about Daisy? How was she inspired as the Heroine of this story?
Daisy Buchanan took early retirement from teaching in New York and moved with her husband, Joe, to what was their vacation home for many years, a Greek Revival in the little village of Millbury, PA. She went to the local auction one Saturday night and bid on a steamer trunk that turned out to be packed to the brim with all kinds of notions and fabrics. It was the inspiration to open her store, Sometimes a Great Notion.
 
As a former history teacher, she loves the idea of preserving the treasures of the past and passing them along to another good home. She never gives up on anything, the same way she never gave up on any of her students. She’s a tenacious crossword puzzler and has excellent hearing, which aids in her sleuthing. Unfortunately, one of the desirable qualities in a teacher that Daisy lacks is an adequate supply of patience, and that can sometimes get her into trouble.
 
What are you working on next?
I’ve turned in the second book in the series, A Dollhouse to Die For, which features a dollhouse that Daisy buys at the auction. Now I’m working on the third, which will center around antique needlework samplers, so I’m having fun doing research.
 
If you can have dinner with any character in any book who would it be and why?
The easy answer would be the hot detective, Tony Serrano, but I think I have to say Eleanor Reid. She’s one of Daisy’s best friends and owns a shop across the street called A Stitch Back in Time where she restores antique wedding gowns. Even though she’s in her early sixties, Eleanor rides a red Vespa, drinks ICBM’s (ice-cold Beefeater martinis) and has an unusual way of looking at the world. She’s a bit of a dark horse. She wasn’t originally slated to be a main character, but somehow wangled her way to the front and is now one of my favorites.
 
 
 
Here is an overview of her book:

A retired schoolteacher—and yes, daughter of an F. Scott Fitzgerald fan—Daisy Buchanan has finally found her calling in the quaint village of Millbury, Pennsylvania. While her husband endlessly renovates their old house, Daisy happily presides over Sometimes a Great Notion, a quirky shop that sells sewing bits and bobs, antiques, and jewelry.
Daisy has her eye on an antique dollhouse and a classic Singer Featherweight at the local auction—until her friend and mentor, auctioneer Angus Backstead, is led away in handcuffs. It appears he bashed in the head of a drinking buddy who stole a set of fancy fountain pens. Daisy’s sure the sprightly old-timer couldn’t have done it. But if Daisy can’t stitch together the bidder truth—and soon—Angus will be going once, going twice… gone forever.


Cate Price is a regular sight on the streets of her home town walking her two amazing rescue dogs, and enjoys gardening, antiquing, and cooking with friends. She is a member of Sisters in Crime and Romance Writers of America.

Writing this debut novel proved to be rather an expensive project, because while researching auction houses, she also became addicted to bidding on box lots.

GOING THROUGH THE NOTIONS will be published by Berkley Prime Crime on September 3, 2013. A DOLLHOUSE TO DIE FOR is slated for release in the summer of 2014 and Cate is hard at work on the third book in the series.

She loves to connect with friends at her website,
 

 
 
Thank you for being with us today Cate. I really loved your book ! Have you all read this one yet. Leave a message for Cate here.

2 comments:

  1. Shelley, thank you so much for having me here today, and thanks for the lovely comments on Going Through the Notions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed this blog and learned so much about Cate.
    I am very anxious to read this series and hope to be ordering very soon. When your books all read #1 on the lists, you just may have to leave your full time regular job, Cate, and be a fulltime writer, are you ready for that?? I know you will be very successful with your writing.

    Sincerely,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

First in Series- Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross

Happy Monday! This week's First in Series is Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross Released on August 22, 2000. Seri...